AHC ACTION ALERT- SUPPORT NATIONAL FOREST TRAILS BILL TODAY
On Thursday, July 16, the Senate Agriculture Committee is scheduled to hold a hearing on the National Forest Service Trail Stewardship Act of 2015 (S.1110). The bill would direct the Forest Service to take several actions to help address the current trail maintenance backlog that is adversely impacting all trail users on many national forests, including equestrians. This bill is strongly supported by the American Horse Council.
AHC urges all recreational riders and trail users to call their Senators and ask them to support the National Forest Service Trail Stewardship Act of 2015 (S.1110) and to please co-sponsor this legislation.
You can reach your Senator through the Capitol Switchboard at 202-225-3121. Once connected to the Senator’s office, ask to speak to the staff person who handles public lands issues.
Call them today and tell them;
- You support the National Forest Service Trail Stewardship Act of 2015 (S.1110) and it is important to trail riders and all recreational trail users in your state.
- The Forest Service has deferred trail maintenance needs that exceed half-billion dollars. This maintenance backlog is causing access and safety issues for equestrians and all trail users on national forests.
- S. 1110 will direct the Forest Service to develop a strategy to more effectively utilize volunteers and partners to assist in maintaining national forest trails and identify and prioritize specific areas with the greatest need for trail maintenance in the national forest system.
- This bill will help improve trail maintenance without adding to the federal budget deficit.
- The bill is bi-partisan and supported by a wide range of recreational users of public land.
- Please support and co-sponsor this important legislation.
If you have any questions please contact the AHC.